Foot Pain! These days, it is just as common as thirst and hunger. According to a Journal published by University of Maryland Medical Centre, foot pain is often experienced by around 75 % of world population. Although foot pain may not be a daunting condition to worry about, you shouldn’t ignore the pain in feet if it persists for longer period as well as if the foot pain increases.Before looking into the types of feet pain and the home remedies for foot pain, let us see the causes for pain in feet.
- 1 What are the Causes of Foot Pain
- 2 Is your Foot Pain a Sign of an Underlying Health Condition?
- 3 How to identify whether the foot pain is caused by spinal issue?
- 3.1 Types of Foot Pain and Remedies
- 3.3 Heel Pain
- 3.4 Pain in Ball of the Foot
- 3.5 Toe Pain
- 3.5.1 Ingrown Toe Nails
- 3.5.2 Remedies for foot pain due to ingrown toe nail?
- 3.5.3 Fungal infection of nails
- 3.5.4 How to treat fungal infection and reduce foot pain?
- 3.5.5 The Big Toe Problem (Gout and Sesamoiditis)
- 3.5.6 Remedies for foot pain caused by Gout and Sesamoiditis?
- 3.5.7 Hammer Toe
- 3.5.8 How to cure foot pain due to hammertoe?
What are the Causes of Foot Pain
- Fracture – fracture (whether very mild or severe) leads to foot pain. In most cases, many people may not be able to identify fracture for a long time. Foot pain often accompanies swelling and skin turning black when it is due to fracture.
- Overweight / obesity – Your feet are what takes you everywhere and thus the whole body weight is carried by your feet. Too much weight put a lot of stress on the feet, leading to foot pain.
- Nervous weakness – General weakness of nerves affects your foot and give rise to pain.
- Neuropathy – Neuropathy refers to nerve damages and it may happen in any part of the body. When the nerves are damaged in foot, it leads to extreme pain. Neuropathy is caused mainly by diabetes.
- Tendinitis – It refers to inflammation of the bands attached to bones, swelling of muscles and irritation of nerves.
- Bone weakness – Just like nervous weakness, weaker bones or bone degeneration also leads to foot pain.
Is your Foot Pain a Sign of an Underlying Health Condition?
Spine health and foot pain
- Pinched nerve
- Sciatica – swollen or damaged nerves that connect the spine to the foot
- Nerve compression in the lower back
- Disc bulge or disc prolapse
- Deterioration of spinal cord (low bone density and weaker bones)
- Muscle spasms in the back
- Inflammation of the nerves
How to identify whether the foot pain is caused by spinal issue?
Types of Foot Pain and Remedies
Flat feet aren’t a specific health condition that causes foot pain. As indicated by it names, this condition refers to the feet that do not have the curve typical of a foot. Those who have flat feet or when the arches of the feet flattens due to aging, it leads to foot pain. people who are born with flat feet are often affected by severe pain.
Remedies for foot pain caused by flat feet?
The best remedy for foot pain caused due to flat feet is wearing right shoes with adjustments and inserts. To reduce pain, ice therapy works best. Just massage your feet with ice and choose the right shoes.
Remedies for heel pain due to plantar fasciitis?
- Take rest and don’t move too much
- Do stretches
- Wear shoes that support the foot arch
Remedies for pain due to heel spur?
- Massage the heels with your hands
- Soak feet in warm water
- Apply ice
- Keep your foot elevated when you sleep
Pain in Ball of the Foot
Remedies for foot pain due to stone bruise?
Ingrown Toe Nails
Remedies for foot pain due to ingrown toe nail?
- Get foot soak at least thrice a day
- Apply oil, massage the toes and try to remove the edges of the toenails
Fungal infection of nails
How to treat fungal infection and reduce foot pain?
- Wear quality footwear and socks
- Don’t expose the foot to dampness for a long time
- Walk for at least 20 minutes a day to get good blood circulation in the legs and foot
- Take warm foot soak and apply tea tree oil on the toes to treat infection.
The Big Toe Problem (Gout and Sesamoiditis)
Remedies for foot pain caused by Gout and Sesamoiditis?
- minimize the movements
- cold and warm compress.
- Drink lots of water.
- Adequate fluid intake helps prevent acute gout attacks.
- Avoid alcohol as it causes gout by slowing down the excretion of uric acid.
- Avoid foods rich in purines (meat and seafood etc.) to reduce the uric level acid in the body.
However, it needs medical treatment when the pain becomes intolerable.
How to cure foot pain due to hammertoe?
- You are working out too much, it puts a lot of strain. If you have never walked before, but then one day, you suddenly walk for 1 hour. It leads to foot pain.
- Your footwear isn’t comfortable. Here this is not about wearing high heels, but too tight or too loose sandal or shoes.
- Your back is strained. If you suddenly get stiff back, it reflects in your foot. A brief guide about how foot pain related with low back is mentioned later in this article.
- Diabetes! Foot health and diabetes are interrelated. When you experience sore foot too often, check your blood sugar levels. besides, you may also find that your foot is itchy and stabbing with mild to moderate irritation.
- Sudden onset of pain in feet is an indication of weight gain. Losing weight might help you get rid of such foot pain.