Acne, zits, pimples, spots, and bumps! Whatever you call it, it is certainly annoying. Regrettably, it pops-out in the most unfortunate situation. Ever since you reached puberty, acne closely associates you more than anything. So, why not try home remedies for acne? The quick remedies, to be specific!
Acne is a real pain for those who suffer from it. These “small things” not only have physical presence but also cause mental stress by making the person socially aloof. People (especially, the teenage) with acne, withdraw themselves from social gatherings due to the ‘so called ugly’ looks. Pimples are the result of excessive secretion of sebum- an oily substance- by the sebaceous gland. Following a healthy lifestyle with right kind of diet for acne and exercise, one can surely avoid acne from growing.
However, if it appears anyhow, then there are many herbs and common materials found right at our homes that can be used to cure acne. These ingredients are actually the most effective home remedies for pimples.
Caused by raging hormones and of course diet and lifestyle, acne ruins the way you look. Luckily, there are many simple acne home remedies available to get rid of acne. You can easily find the most effective remedies for acne in your kitchen. Take a look at the simple acne treatment at home.
- 1 Quick Home Remedies for Acne
- 1.1 1. Neem and Turmeric for Acne
- 1.2 2. Baking Soda for Acne
- 1.3 3. Aloe Vera Gel for Acne
- 1.4 4. Himalayan Salt aka Pink Salt for Acne
- 1.5 5. Tea Tree Oil for Acne
- 1.6 6- Mint
- 1.7 7- Oatmeal
- 1.8 8- Aloe vera
- 1.9 9- Basil
- 1.10 10- Cinnamon
- 1.11 11- Gram Flour
- 1.12 12- Lime Juice
- 1.13 A few tips on remedies for acne
Quick Home Remedies for Acne
1. Neem and Turmeric for Acne
Neem or Indian Lilac is the classic remedy for acne, used for ages to keep the skin free from blemishes. In fact, in the olden days, neem was consumed internally for flawless skin. Why is neem so good for skin? It is:
- Antibacterial and antimicrobial (clears away all infections)
- Purifies blood (when consumed internally)
- Clarifies skin and provides blemish-free skin
- Treats all types of acne
And what about turmeric? The other ingredient of this acne remedy.
Turmeric is the holy ingredient packed with amazing healing properties. It is:
- Shrinks the pores
How to use neem and turmeric to cure acne?
Make a Neem and turmeric acne pack
- Boil a handful neem leaves in water and grind it to a paste.
- Add two or three teaspoons of turmeric powder and blend it well.
- Apply the paste on acne spots and bumps.
- Let it stay for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Wash with running water
Take Neem and turmeric steam
Frequent steaming unclogs skin pores and helps your skin breathe. For mild acne, you can try this steam remedy to prevent further aggravation. This is traditional steaming method and you cannot use steamer for this acne remedy (obviously, turmeric will stain it all over!)
- Boil water in a wide opened vessel.
- When water comes to boil, add a bunch of neem leaves.
- Add turmeric powder (2 to 3 teaspoons) and mix it.
- Add a few drops of any aromatic essential oil (optional to reduce the bitter aroma of neem)
- Remove the vessel from flame
- Cover your face with a blanket and let your face get the steam (be at safe distance and handle the bowl cautiously, steam is dangerous for your skin, better careful than sorry!)
- Do it for 5 to 10 minutes with short breaks of a few seconds whenever you become uncomfortable
- Stay relaxed for a while and wash the face with running water
Use Neem leaves paste as internal remedy for acne
Clear acne from the roots by eating neem leaves. How bitter it would be! Yes they are bitter, but go for baby neem leaves. They are tolerably bitter.
- Take about 3 to 5 baby neem leaves (which appears beautiful in greenish pink shade without carrying that bitter aroma)
- Grind it into a paste (you may use mortar and pestle as you’ll not be able to grind this little amount in any machine!)
- If you can swallow it raw, just go for it and drink a glass of warm water.
- Alternatively, make it a pea sized ball, mix with buttermilk and consume it.
Neem is very powerful. Don’t use it for more than once a week. You can see the difference in single application.
2. Baking Soda for Acne
Baking soda is one of the very effective way for acne. It is a multi-functional skin-friendly ingredient. It also makes the quick overnight solution to remove acne in a jiffy. Some of the properties of baking soda useful for acne remedy include:
- Antiseptic – suitable for cystic acne
- Anti-inflammatory – reduces the bumps
- A skin exfoliant
- Absorbs the excessive oil from the skin
- Aids in managing the pH level of the skin (Crucial for healthy and flawless skin)
How to use baking soda to remove acne
- 1-2 teaspoons of baking soda (or the quantity you feel is sufficient to cover the acne spots)
- A few drops of rose water
- Cucumber juice (if you have sensitive and irritated skin) to soothe the skin
Now do this:
- Mix all these ingredients,
- Make it in consistency of paste, and
- Cover the acne spots. Remember, this is not a face pack and you don’t need to cover the whole face.
- Leave it to dry out naturally
- Wash off with water once it dries off
If you have extremely dry and extra sensitive skin, skip the above acne remedy which uses baking soda. Instead, you can use aloe vera remedy for acne, it is given next in this list of acne remedies.
3. Aloe Vera Gel for Acne
Aloe vera gel is one of the miracles that is gifted to the mankind by mother nature. It may look like an overstated fact, but the real potential of aloe vera can never be unleashed.
Aloe vera is the remedy for most of the skin problems, from itchy skin to skin burns. The beauty of aloe gel is, it can be used as an effective home remedy for acne in all types of skin. Be it sensitive or oily, cystic or red bumps, aloe vera cures it all.
How to use aloe vera gel for acne
- Apply the fresh gel on the acne spots and that’s it. (you can leave it overnight)
- Rub the inner rind of the aloe leaf on the face for extra nourishment to the skin
Remember to use the freshly scooped out gel for better results. Regular use of aloe makes miraculous transformation to your skin.
4. Himalayan Salt aka Pink Salt for Acne
Himalayan salt is a time-tested home remedy for acne. It has about 80 minerals and trace elements, which makes absolute nourishment for skin, something more than treating acne. In fact, most of the skin care products use Himalayan salt as one of the major ingredients.
- Reduces skin pores
- Absorbs the excessive oil from skin
- Clears the skin blemishes
- Feeds the skin with essential nutrients
- Prevents further acne breakouts
- Is a gentle exfoliating agent
- Enhances your skin tone and texture
How to use Himalayan salt for acne?
- Wash the face with warm water (not hot)
- Lather the Himalayan salt crystals in your palms and scrub the face gently
- If you have oily skin, gently rub the salt crystals on the face. Don’t worry; it won’t harm your skin.
- If you have sensitive skin or cystic acne, dissolve the salt crystals in rose water and apply on the acne spots.
- If you have dry skin, dissolve the Himalayan salt in honey and apply.
5. Tea Tree Oil for Acne
Essential oils come with loads of skin rejuvenating properties. Among the myriad of essential oils, tea tree oil is most powerful, packed with extra benefits. Tea tree oil deep cleanses the skin and removes the acne from the roots, thanks to its strong antimicrobial properties.
How to use tea tree oil
- Mix one part of tea tree oil to five parts of rose water / any oil (coconut oil or olive oil or almond oil) and blend it
- Soak a cotton ball and apply it on the acne spots
- Let it stay for 30 minutes
- Wash the face with warm water
Never use tea tree oil without a carrier. It is too strong and can damage your skin if used undiluted.
So, how to use mint as an acne remedy? It’s really easy!
- Crush a handful of mint leaves
- Rub the crushed leaves with juice on affected skin.
- Leave it for 5-10 minutes and then rinse with cold water.
- Repeat the process to alleviate pain and inflammation.
Mint contains menthol which is a natural analgesic and anti-inflammatory. This makes it one of the best fast remedies for acne
Oatmeal is not only healthy but also a very good remedy for acne!
- Cook oatmeal with water and add ¼ cup honey to it.
- Yogurt can also be mixed with fine oatmeal to make a thick paste. But it is completely optional. Do this if you have very dry skin.
- Mix it thoroughly and allow cooling.
- Apply the mixture on affected skin, avoiding the eyes and leave it to dry.
- Leave for 10-20 minutes and not more than that.
- If it dries earlier, remove immediately.
- Wash the face with lukewarm water and pat dry.
Oatmeal absorbs oil and exfoliates the skin. Honey makes it easy to apply the mixture on skin as well as acts as a skin toner.
8- Aloe vera
Aloe vera, the miracle herb is also a good home remedy for acne.
- Remove the thick skin of aloe vera leaf and take out the gel from it.
- Be careful to avoid yellow gel close to the leaf rind, it is not good for irritated skin and might cause inflammation.
- Apply the clear aloe gel on skin avoiding eyes.
- That’s all. If you feel so, you may wash off skin after 20-30 minutes but its’ not essential at all.
- You may keep the gel for about a week by storing it in refrigerator in an airtight container.
Aloe vera soothes the skin, it has a mild anti-inflammatory content and is a natural antibiotic that cleans the skin and kills bacteria.
Basil is a medicinal herb with anti-microbial properties, good for acne remedy.
- Take some basil (tulsi) leaves and cook it in water with a teaspoon full of tea.
- Cool it.
- Apply the lotion on skin with the help of cotton.
Cinnamon is a healing herb spice. It has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that makes it one of the very effective remedies for acne.
- Mix honey and cinnamon powder.
- Apply this paste before going to sleep.
- Wash it off in the morning.
11- Gram Flour
Gram flour for acne remedy is used by many, especially those with extra oily skin. It can control excessive oil production of your skin and thus helps get rid of acne.
- Mix gram flour with milk that has not boiled even for once (raw milk).
- Use this as face wash daily.
Gram flour absorbs oil efficiently and milk keeps the skin toned and smooth.
12- Lime Juice
Lemon juice is a natural astringent and mild antibacterial agent. It is very effective for treating acne and can be used in several ways.
- Mix one tablespoon of groundnut oil with one tablespoon of lime juice. Apply it on acne.
- Fresh lime juice mixed with half glass of boiled milk can also be used for treating pimples, blackheads and cracked skin.
- Mix lime juice and rose water in equal proportions and apply this every night after thoroughly washing the face. Keep it for 30 minutes and then wash the face and pat dry.
- Make a paste of roasted & powdered pomegranate skin with fresh lime juice and apply over the affected skin.
Try one or more of these herbal for acne according to the gravity of acne problem.
A few tips on remedies for acne
- You can use honey and rose water as carrier or binding ingredient, they enhance the effect and clear acne quickly.
- Although can give you the desired result, you should also equally concentrate on your diet and lifestyle factors that are likely to contribute to acne breakouts.
- Eat healthy, include more fruits and vegetables in your diet as well as healthy fats like those from nuts and fish. Avoid junk food, especially fried and oily food.
- Exercise regularly, it not only improves blood circulation but also purifies your blood and internal system by flushing out toxins. Why else would your face glow when you regularly exercise and eat healthy foods!
Forget acne and acne breakouts when you use natural home treatment acne and change your lifestyle to be a healthy one!