How can a busy professional do Yoga in the morning?
(A 10 minutes morning yoga schedule)
So, how does a busy professional like you can do yoga?
2 minutes of Pranayam- Heals you from within
When you start your day with 2 minutes of Pranayam, you kick start your bodily system in the most positive way. It is said in the ancient Yoga scriptures, “When the breath wanders, the mind is unsteady, but when the breath is still, the mind is still.” It is a technique that makes a professional like you a master of self healing and survival in the best possible way, it relieves all stress and leads to a steady mind, strong will power and sound judgment. In fact, you can do pranayam any time during the day, even while sitting on your office chair. You’ll wonder on your clarity of thoughts from now onwards! Because, it is said, “Breathing is the physical part of thinking and thinking is the psychological part of breathing.”
- Sit comfortably on ground with cross legged position (you may also sit on chair, if you wish)
- Close the right nostril with the right thumb.
- Breathe deeply through your left nostril.
- Hold breath to the count of four
- Close the left nostril with the ring finger of right hand while releasing the right nostril.
- Breathe out slowly through right nostril.
- While keeping the left nostril closed, breathe in deeply through your right nostril.
- Close the right nostril once again with right thumb and release the left nostril.
- Breathe out of the left nostril.
- Repeat the above steps 10 times
5 minutes of Meditation – for focus, concentration and self control
When you extend your Pranayam practice with as little as a 5 minutes meditation, you remain focused throughout the day with a greater concentration and self control. And yes, you don’t have to learn all those lengthy meditation steps. You just need to breath intentionally and do a little more and that’s all! How?
3 minutes of Yoga Stretches- gives you flexibility and energy
When you do 2-3 minutes of morning yoga stretches, you are not only neutralizing the ill effects of yesterday’s periods of inactivity but also preparing yourself to keep yourself energized by warming up your muscles.
Night Yoga for busy professionals
(10 minutes of night yoga for better sleep and stress relief)
Evening and night yoga benefits are many.
- Vajrasanastha Poorva Yoga Mudra
- Nasika shuddhi kriya
- Bhramari Rechaka Pranayama (humming bee deep breathing)
- So-ham Dhyan
- Sahaj Chandrabhedana Pranayam
- Supta Baddhakonasana
- Shirshasana (don’t do this if you are a beginner or take expert help)
Random Yoga for Busy Professionals
(Yoga poses for daytime, at random occasions)
So, morning yoga and evening or night yoga are fixed for the two extremes of the day. The rest of the day, you are busy doing your office or professional work. But at times, you feel really stressed or low on energy. Sometimes, your body feels rigid. These yoga exercises are for those moments.
Viparita Karani- Legs Against Wall Yoga
When low on energy, high on stress, feel like recharging yourself, do Viparit karini yoga or the legs against walls yoga pose. This can be done in the evening when you return home. At this time, you are stressed most. This yoga will help you relax.
Here’s how to do Viparita Karini Yoga Pose
Kati Chakrasana- Waist Rotating Yoga Asana
- Stand at feet at shoulder width apart
- Arms will rest at sides
- Raise arms at shoulder level
- Twist your body to the right
- Bring the left hand to the right shoulder and wrap your right arm around the back, bringing it to the left side of your waist
- Look over your right shoulder, as far as you can see but only to that extent at which you are comfortable.
- Keep the back and neck straight
- Hold for 2 seconds
- Return to the starting position
- repeat with other side
- Do 5 to 10 rounds
Greeva Sanchalan- Neck Movements
Whenever you feel stiffness in your neck region, do these yoga asanas called ‘Greeva (neck) Sanchalan (movements). Busy professionals of this digital age spend more than half of their day in front of their laptops or desktops and remaining day in front of mobile phones, digital tablets and I-pads. As such, stiffness in their neck is nothing unusual. These neck movements will help you a lot.
- Sit or stand in a comfortable position with your back and neck straight in one line.
- Slowly move your head forward and try to touch your chest with the chin
- Now move your head backwards as far as you can without putting strain
- Feel the stretch in the front and back muscles of the neck
- Repeat 5-10 times
- Now stand straight in starting position
- Move the head to the right bringing right ear to the right shoulder. Don’t raise the shoulder
- Now move the head to the left shoulder. Do these without straining your neck
- Repeat 5-10 times
- Bring head to the starting position
- Gently turn your head to the right and bring the chin in line with the shoulder
- Now do the same towards left side
- Repeat 5-10 times