Eyes are the windows of your soul! Eyes speak louder than your mouth! Eyes are the epitome of your face! And there is a lot that defines how beautiful your eyes are! You can try many ways to enhance the beauty of your eyes and make it appealing! One of the most appealing aspects of beautiful eyes is the eyelashes! Long, thick and curvy lashes are what give you glamorous and dramatic eyes!
Unfortunately, not everyone is blessed with naturally thick and long eyelashes. Using eyelash extensions or applying loads and loads of mascara gives dramatic eyes! Although eyelash extensions come handy in many cases to get that dramatic look, you cannot use it regularly. This is because eyelash extensions have pros and cons of their own. They also can’t compare with the beauty of naturally thick and long eyelashes.
Can you make your eyelashes grow thick and long naturally?
Yes, of course!
Diet, lifestyle, nutritional deficiency, hormonal changes, eye infection and even some other medical conditions may affect the growth of eyelashes. Instead of looking for an artificial solution, you may try something natural to deal with these causes that don’t let your eyelashes grow thick and long.
Just remember that without a good foundation, you cannot build something strong. It is true for eyelashes too. If you want to grow thick and long lashes, you should stick to certain healthy habits and follow a proper eye care routine. Following a healthy eyelash care routine is the first step to getting thicker and longer lashes. Eyelash care routine has been explained later in this article.
Venture into the following simple home remedies for eyelash growth and make your eyelashes grow thicker and longer, naturally.
Home Remedies for Thicker and Longer Eyelashes
Remember that each home remedy for eyelash growth may provide different results in different people.
Natural Oils for Thicker and Longer Eyelashes
When it comes to growth of eyelashes, natural oils make the best bet. Regular application of natural oils keep the eyes and lashes hydrated and thus, prevents the damages caused due to dehydration. It also supports the growth of thick and long lashes.
1. Castor Oil for Eyelash Growth
Castor oil is one of the most effective home remedies used to get beautiful eyelashes. Applying castor oil is a traditional practice used for ages to improve the eyesight too. Castor oil also nourishes the eyelash. It prevents the breakage of eyelashes and makes them grow longer and thicker.
It reduces the heat in the eyes and prevents damages to the lashes. Regular application of castor oil to the eyes keeps the eyes cool and hydrated. Within a few weeks of regular use, you can notice considerable growth in your eyelashes.
A few things to note when you apply castor oil for eyelash growth
- Initially, you may find that toxins (accumulated dust and debris) are excreted from the eyes. If you experience it, don’t panic. It is good for your eyes; castor oil removes all the toxins.
- In a few days, you will notice your eyes sparkle and you also feel a cool sensation.
- Remember, based on the eyelash growth cycle only, you will notice the growth of long and thick lashes.
How to apply castor oil for eyelash growth?
Remove all the makeup from your eyes. Wash the face and eyes and pat dry.
Remember to choose natural or organic castor oil; it is easily available. Make sure that the oil does not get into your eyes if the oil is not pure and organic.
- Use a brush or cotton ball to apply the castor oil on eyelash. You can also use your finger provided you wash your hands properly.
- Soak the brush or cotton into the castor oil.
- Gently apply the cotton ball on the eyelids and at the base of the both upper and lower lashes.
- Don’t look for any precise application. Even excess castor oil won’t harm you, as long as you buy a quality product.
- That’s it! Close the eyes and go to sleep.
- Do this regularly at night before you sleep.
You can also do this whenever you find some leisure during the day. However, make sure that you get some rest and close your eyes at least for an hour after applying castor oil.
2. Other Natural Oils for Eyelash Growth
In addition to castor oil, following are a few natural oils that can enhance the growth and length of your lashes.
- Coconut oil – the best natural moisturizer, prevents damage to the lashes caused by loss of protein
- Olive oil – rejuvenates the eyes
- Almond oil – rich in Vitamin E, an anti-aging oil which directly promotes hair growth
- Lemon olive oil (soak dried rinds of lemon in olive oil and keep it under the natural sunlight for two days) – it nourishes the eyes and stimulates eyelash growth
The way of application of all the oils to the lash line or eyelids remains the same.
3. Petroleum Jelly – A Natural Lash Enhancer
Petroleum jelly ( popular by the brand name Vaseline) has been one of the popular home remedies for enhancing the length of lashes. Petroleum jelly is a versatile product and you can use it literally for anything. You can use it on lips, hair and on lashes!
Many people have grown long and thick lashes merely by regular application of petroleum jelly to their lashes. It is one of the cheapest, easiest and effective home remedy for eyelash growth. The moisturizing properties of petroleum jelly improve brittle lashes and prevent the dryness.
How to apply petroleum jelly to grow longer lashes
Just apply the petroleum jelly before you go to bed. Wash it off after you wake up. Repeat it thrice a day for a few weeks.
The major thing about using petroleum jelly is whether to apply it by hand or use a brush!
- You can use a clean mascara wand or your clean fingers to apply petroleum jelly (Buy a separate mascara wand to use on the lashes)
- Apply the jelly on the lash line and the length of the lashes, on both, the upper lash and lower lash.
If you use fingers,
- Just grab a dab of petroleum jelly onto your fingers.
- Using too much may lead to puffiness of eyes!
If you use a mascara wand,
- Apply the petroleum jelly on the wand and just apply it like you put on mascara.
Adverse reaction of using petroleum jelly is quite a rare condition and it doesn’t cause any harmful side effects.
4. Aloe Vera to Promote Lash Growth
Aloe vera is one of the mainstay home remedies for many conditions. The cooling, soothing and moisturizing properties of aloe vera keep your eyes moisturized. Aloe vera is rich in vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants. The nutrients of aloe vera promote the growth of lashes too.
Extract the gel from the fresh aloe plant and apply it on the lashes. That’s it!
You can also apply the gel on the eye lids. (Added bonus: Fresh and bright eyes, reduced puffiness, and no dark circles upon regular usage)
5. Coconut Milk for Thicker and Longer Lashes
One of the not-so-popular home remedies for eyelash growth is coconut milk. It is rich in proteins and essential fats. Applying coconut milk can regulate the growth cycle of your lashes and you can grow thick, long and strong eyelashes.
How to make coconut milk and apply?
- Scrape half a coconut.
- Add a few drops of water and extract thick milk using a mixer or juicer.
- Soak a cotton ball in the milk and apply on the lashes.
- It will dry in a few minutes and you can apply it twice or thrice.
- Rinse the eyes after 30 minutes.
- You can try this remedy twice or thrice a week.
6. Egg and Olive Oil for Weak Lashes
There are many girls who have longer but weaker lashes. The lashes fall out soon due to weak roots. If you are happy with the length of your eyelashes but want to make it strong and thick, this remedy can do many wonders. Eggs contain protein and it strengthens the roots of the lashes. Olive oil moisturizes the lashes. However, you can use any oil other than olive oil too.
How to make egg and olive oil mixture for weak lashes
- Add a few drops of egg whites with a few drops of olive oil.
- Apply it on the lash line and the lashes.
- You can use a brush or mascara wand to apply it on the lash line.
- Apply it at night and wash it off in the morning.
- If you don’t feel comfortable about leaving eggs overnight, you can wash it after one hour.
7. Green Tea Extract
Green tea is rich in antioxidants and flavonoids. It is also a natural skin cleanser. The health benefits of green tea are many. It also clears the skin and makes it free from blemishes. Applying green tea to the lashes cleanses the hair follicles; strengthens the roots and aids in growth of lashes.
- Prepare green tea as you usually do. Steep a green tea bag or green tea leaves in some warm water.
- Dip a cotton ball in the green tea.
- Apply it generously on the lash line and lashes.
- Since it is more like a clear / watery liquid, it will dry very soon.
- You can apply multiple coats, multiple times a day.
8. Eyes and Eyelid Massage grows Eyelashes
You may not be aware of the benefits of massaging your eyes regularly. In general, massaging stimulates cells and tissues, soothes nerves and improves blood circulation. When you regularly massage your eyes, it reduces irritation, soreness and also rejuvenates your eyes. Another benefit of eyelid massage is strengthening the roots of the hair follicles which promotes proper circulation. It contributes a lot in making your lashes strong so that lashes won’t fall off too often.
How to massage eyes and eyelids?
Apply some oil to the eye area or fingers.
- Start by massaging the brow line.
- Gently, but with firm pressure, draw a semi circle with your finger, starting from the centre of the brows, towards the side of the eyes. You can do both eyes simultaneously.
- Do it for 5 to 10 times.
- Similarly, gently massage the lower eyes, from external eyes towards internally.
- Do it for 5 to 10 times.
- Massage the eyelids; gently rub one finger from internally towards externally.
- Do it for 5 to 10 times.
- Press the inner corner of the eyes, outer corner of the eyes 10 times, gently but firmly.
- Rub your palm and place the warm palms on the eyelids. (it nourishes your eyes)
Don’t massage the eyes harder. Just be gentle on the eyes.
9. Embrace Healthy Diet for Long and Thick Eyelashes
Healthy diet is something you cannot ignore when you wish to get long and strong lashes. In addition to the best home remedies for eyelash growth, you should also focus on healthy diet. You should include a lot of proteins and fresh produce in your diet. Following are a few diet recommendations that can help grow lengthy and strong lashes.
- Eat a lot of fresh fruits – apples, guavas, papaya, berries, etc.
- Add more proteins in your diet. Have more of eggs and lean meat along with fish. If you are vegan or vegetarian, include legumes, seeds, beans and nuts in your daily diet.
- Eat at least two varieties of green vegetables and leafy greens a day
- Don’t starve yourself for whatsoever reason.
- Drink a lot of water to stay hydrated.
- Make sure to add some form of healthy ‘fats’ in your diet. This can be oils like olive oil or nuts, avocados etc.
10. Eyelash Care Routine for Eyelash Growth
You care for your hair by using various products and natural ingredients to keep your hair healthy, shiny and strong. Similarly, you need an eyelash care routine for eyelash growth. This will make them longer and thicker. It is not a big thing and won’t eat much of your time, once you are in a habit of doing so.
- Wash your eyes regularly, especially in the morning after you wake up, at night before you go to sleep and whenever you come back home (there is a lot of dust etc. outside.)
- Be gentle on your lashes. Don’t scrub or scratch your eyes. Don’t pull off your lashes. Keep your hands away from your eyes unless it’s extremely essential.
- Don’t share your eye makeup products with anyone else.
- Remove eye makeup without fail before going to bed at night. Also moisturize your eyelashes properly.
- Avoid using eyelash curlers.
Dos and Don’ts to make your eyelash grow faster
Eyelashes have specific growth rate and cycle which varies with every individual. When it comes to faster growth of eyelashes, know that it doesn’t grow rapidly. Rather, it sticks to the normal and healthy growth cycle. You need to avoid breakages / damages during the growth phase of your lashes.
Eyelashes grow only a few millimeters. You cannot expect it to grow long in a few days. So, it may take a minimum of a few weeks to see the results.
Remove makeup before you sleep
Don’t go to sleep with makeup. It is immaterial how busy you are, steal a few minutes and remove the makeup. If you have any special eye makeup, use special eye cleanser to remove the eye makeup.
Coconut oil is one of the natural makeup removers. Even if you use makeup remover, apply coconut oil at night before you go to sleep.
Go sans makeup for a few days
Let your eyes and skin breathe fresh sans makeup. Even if you have healthy growth of eyelashes and average lash length, you need to avoid make up, say, for 1 or 2 days a week. Regular eye makeup, application of eyeliner, mascara, etc. can affect their growth cycle and make the lashes prone to damages.
Ice cubes or ice water bath
You can do this regularly to soothe your eyes. Eye irritation and infection can damage eye lashes. Place an ice cube wrapped in a piece of cloth on the eyes. Alternatively, put some ice cubes in a bowl of water and immerse your eyes in this for few seconds.
Avoid using waterproof mascara
Mascara is primarily used to enhance the volume of the lashes! Waterproof mascara is loved by many who want their eye makeup to stay put for hours together. However, waterproof mascara rips the eyelashes of its natural moisture, by removing the natural oils from the lashes. It damages the natural lashes and delay their re-growth cycle.
Waterproof mascara may cause severe damage to eyelashes and affect their growth. You may end-up like, ‘where are many lashes?’ So, don’t buy that waterproof mascara next time!
Say no to long wearing fake lashes
Similar to mascara, fake lashes are meant to dramatize the eyes and extend the length and volume of the natural lashes. Fake lashes or artificial eye lash extensions are generally glued on the lash line. When you wear it for long, it affects the circulation to the natural lashes and lead to damages. In addition, long wearing or semi-permanent lashes can delay the natural growth cycle of the eyelashes.
If you are trying to grow long and thick lashes, don’t wear fake lashes.
A few things to consider for eyelash growth
- Eyes are sensitive organs. You cannot take any chances with your vision. If you experience any kind of discomfort or irritation while trying any remedy, just discontinue it, immediately. Even if the irritation continues after you stop the remedy, visit a doctor and get it treated.
- If you have any eye related problems or wear contact lens, be extra cautious when you try any remedy.
- Using some oils regularly may lead to puffiness of eyes. It may also darken under eyes. However, it is a temporary phase. Yet, apply a little amount of oil. Make sure to wash the eyes and hands.
- Avoid any ingredient used as remedy from getting inside the eyes. It may cause irritation or discomfort. So, after applying something, close your eyes and get some rest.
Taking proper care of eyelashes and providing them nutrition is the only way to grow eyelash thicker, longer and stronger.