The secret of healthy lifestyle lies in what we choose to eat! Your diet can even change your genes and make you healthy than ever! This is what a new study found out.
Yes, this is what Dean Ornish, the founder and president of the Preventive Medicine Research Institute and clinical professor of medicine at the University of California in San Francisco, has found out in a clinical research.
Dean Ornish and his colleagues conducted a clinical research and found out the secret of healthy lifestyle which is in fact no secret for almost all of us! We all knew, what we eat and how we conduct ourselves has a great impact on what we are. This research only prove this idea to be true. And what are these healthy lifestyle secrets?
- A plant-based diet and whole foods- A diet which is high on plant proteins and low in animal proteins, fat and refined carbohydrates
- Moderate exercises- An exercise as simple as walking is enough.
- Stress-less life- Well, it is not very easy to not to have stress but it is easier to learn stress management through such ways as Yoga and meditation.
- Social involvement- Yet again, the importance of such concepts as social and community support, love and intimacy have been established in making our lives healthier.
And that’s all! This is the simple healthy lifestyle secret!
But still, let’s find out more about what should you do to be healthy
Why is such lifestyle healthy?
In the research conducted by Dean Ornish, the team used state-of-the-art scientific measure to prove the benefits of these simple lifestyle habits. These lifestyle habits prevent chronic diseases. In fact, they may even reverse the progression of many diseases. What diseases? here’s the list:
- Coronary heart disease
- Type 2 diabetes
- Prostate cancer (early stage)
And guess what! It can even change your genes! Now that’s something, changing genes is a news! Nobody till now said that a diet can change genes.
What is the effect of healthy lifestyle on genes and aging?
The research has found out that changing lifestyle to one that is healthier turns on the genes that keep you healthy and turns off the genes that promote diseases to give you heart problems, prostate cancer, breast cancer, and diabetes. It can change 500 plus genes in as little as three months!
As far as aging is related, the research concluded that changes in diet and lifestyle may even lengthen telomeres, Telomeres are the ends of our chromosomes that decide how aged we are. Longer telomeres mean longer life. Thus, a healthy lifestyle may even reverse aging on cellular level by lengthening your telomeres.
What can you do to make your lifestyle healthy?
Just change you way of eating and living! Easier said than done. But believe me it is not impossible, a little difficult, it might be. It takes only 21 days to form a habit. So, why not start from today to see your lifestyle changed to a healthy one on 22nd day! This is what you need to do:
- Make your diet healthy. Eat more fruits and vegetables. Avoid having animal proteins. If you can’t quit eating meat, have less of it in your diet. Don’t have them daily and whenever eating them, have small portions. Also include plant protein in your diet to compensate animal protein that you had been taking all these years. Lentils, hemp seeds, chia seeds, quinoa, spirulina, nuts, seeds, beans etc. are some of the finest plant protein sources. Add them in your daily diet. Eat small portions multiple times a day. And what if you indulge yourself one day? Just eat healthier the next day!
- Exercise daily. It can be hitting the gym, cycling, swimming, running, dancing or just walking. Brisk walking for 30-40 minutes a day is enough to give your body the required exercise to stay healthy. What if you miss doing exercise some day? Do a little more the next day!
- Meditate. Yes, this is by far the best stress management technique. You may also learn yoga. Yoga makes you breathe deeply and connect your body with your mind and soul. Or seek to learn some other technique for stress management. The basic idea is to remain stress free if your want to live longer and healthier. This is one of the very few secrets of healthy lifestyle. What if you can’t meditate for an hour? Meditate for a minute! You may also do it several times a day.
- Connect with friends and family. They give you social support, love and companionship. They make you emotional and stress free too. So, live in the real world. Meet friends, spend time with your family, make new friends, just be in touch with fellow human beings. What if you don’t have time to make friends? Be friends with whosoever is near you, your colleagues, neighbors or anyone you feel like talking to and sharing moments with. As far as family is concerned, take out some time from your busy schedule for them.
Here are some more tips on Lifestyle Changes for Good Health and How to Achieve Them!
So, it is as simple as this to have a healthy lifestyle and avoid being ill and depressed for whole of your life. These healthy lifestyle secrets make you happy too!