Give your low libido a boost, naturally! But how to increase libido naturally? Of course, with home remedies to increase libido! Not only there are foods to increase libido but many other ways that improve your libido naturally!Libido or sex drive is not some thing that is discussed during dinnertime. However, when adults have some moments to themselves during get-together, in hushed tones there are harmless jokes about it, some coy smiles and winking.
When libido begins to reduce, it doesn’t strike as abnormal to many people. After all, they tell themselves, it is something that comes with time and age. So, it is conveniently turned into a joke rather than being addressed as an issue.
And one day, it strikes as a harsh reality.
According to many medical researches, decreased libido affects both men and women of all ages. While some times, it is actually related to one’s age, mental health, previous illness and stress levels, in some other cases, it just needs some effort to bring the libido back up.
What can be the reasons for a decreased libido?
Well, there are plenty of reasons for a decreased libido. As discussed, these could be medical, physical and psychological in nature. While all these could be fixed with medication, it has come to surface that libido issues are increasingly becoming a lifestyle issue. This means, that it is actually in one’s hands to take control of their lives. Let’s discuss some such issues that can bring down the libido:
Over consumption of alcohol is a major cause of low libido
That is a well-known fact. Alcohol, when taken in excess, could mean dullness in bedroom. Here, the key word is excess. While a drink or two can help you loosen up a little, and probably, help you relax after a tiring day, too much of it can prove harmful for your libido. There is a simple reason for it. Alcohol is also a depressant and if you don’t watch how much you drink, you could end up in trouble with your own sexual performance. Therefore, it is advisable to monitor the amount of alcohol you are letting into your system. Try and restrict the amount that you normally take, especially if your libido has decreased as compared to older times.
Smoking too can lower your libido
This too is not news. Smoking interferes with blood flow as it constricts the blood vessels. Goes without saying that it impacts libido as it decreases the blood flow to sex organs. The truth of the matter is that it is all monitored from the brain and sexual desires are registered by an increased flow of blood through sex organs. Once that is hampered, it is only natural that the libido is not the same.
Hectic life kills libido
A busy life ultimately takes a toll on many things. Living by the clock is stressful but that is just one of the aspects. If you are working from 9 to 10 hours a day and return home to kids’ homework and bills that need to be paid, do you think you will be able to lead a normal sex life? This rush to meet deadlines can cost you dear. It has been reported by a study that a large percentage of men and women have a decreased libido, thanks to their lifestyle, their busy schedules and fast-paced life. One thing to remember is that stress never comes alone. It brings with it sleeplessness, hormonal imbalance and hence, a low libido. Do you think you are ready to pay this price?
There can be so many other causes for a low libido- medications like those for high blood pressure and the anti-depressants; fatigue; poor body image; low self esteem; lack of connection with partner; unresolved conflicts; and even some surgery. However, you should understand one thing that the meaning of low libido is subjective and it depends on you whether you feel the need to increase your libido or not! If you think your libido is low, and you are also distressed due to this, then only are you suffering from decreased libido.
If you are fine with it and don’t feel the need to be aroused sexually so often, you need no remedies! But if you do want to improve your sex drive, here is how to increase libido naturally- with foods and some other tips for low libido improvement!
Natural Remedies to Increase Libido
Trust nature to get back your libido No, we are not going to discuss Viagra here. Considering nature has the answer to all your libido problems. Many experts believe that to a good extent, all sex-related problems can be treated naturally. In fact, there are many people who are embracing natural ways alone to get back the excitement in their sexual lives.
Top 15 Foods to Increase Libido
We are not going to tell you about any magical concoctions, or medicines for that matter. We are going to discuss food items that can bring back the spark in your sex life by increasing your desire, your libido.
These are a great source of anti oxidants. They come packed with zinc, a mineral that is considered related to increased fertility and sexual functioning. Zinc is in fact important factor in the production of testosterone and healthy sperm. When you have oysters, it also improves your dopamine levels and this leads to an increased libido in both, men and women.
This shouldn’t be a problem for those who enjoy seafood! If you are a vegetarian, don’t worry. There are many other remedies to increase libido that line up for you.
Since ancient times, asparagus has been trusted for its aphrodisiac properties. Asparagus is the famous aphrodisiac herb known as Shatavari and marketed as safed museli in Asian countries. Many Unani doctors in the treatment of sexual dysfunctions, including the lack of sexual vigor, impotency and premature ejaculation, use the dried root of asparagus. Asparagus has high levels of B vitamin known as folate. This vitamin helps increase the production of histamine which is in turn crucial for a good sex drive in both, men and women
How to use Asparagus for increased libido
- Take about fifteen grams of the asparagus root powder.
- Boil it with one glass of milk.
- Now drink this concoction at least twice a day for good results.
It is known to be great for cardiac health. However, it is known to be an effective aphrodisiac with absolutely no side effects. The heat in garlic helps increase your libido with the assistance of allicin present in garlic. This component allicin increases blood flow to your sexual organs but for this you need to have raw garlic for longer period, at least a month before you see any changes in your libido.
How to take garlic to increase libido
- All you need to do is take 2-3 cloves of garlic. Chop it into small pieces or crush it and eat it daily.
- Or take 1 cup milk, ¼ cup water and a clove of garlic. Chop the garlic clove and mix it with milk and water. Boil the mixture of three gently till the time you are left with only 1 cup of it. Have it before you go to bed.
- If you cant stand the smell of raw garlic, buy garlic capsules found easily at any health store or even in natural food shops.
It surprises many but onion too comes packed with aphrodisiac properties. It is great for strengthening immune system but it also restores strength to reproductive organs. But did you know that onion as a potent aphrodisiac has been referred to in many classic Indian books written on the art of making love! And that in ancient Greece, onions were a common aphrodisiac remedy. In the ages that belong to Egyptians Pharaohs, the celibate priests were forbidden to eat onions just because it could increase their libido. In France, newlyweds were served onion soup after their wedding night.
How to take onion to increase libido
- Take 1 tablespoon of onion juice and 1 teaspoon of fresh ginger juice. Mix them and have it twice daily.
- You can simply include raw onions in your salad.
- You can even eat it as sandwich stuffing, provided it is not cooked.
Another surprising entry here, Carrots are a great source of Vitamin A which is needed for producing sex hormones. It is particularly beneficial for increasing libido in men because vitamin A is important for sperm production. Anyone who is suffering with sexual lethargy can trust carrots to get the vigor back.
A simple carrot recipe for low libido – carrot, egg, honey
- Take 150 gm carrots and a half-boiled egg.
- Grate or chop carrots.
- Add the half-boiled egg to it.
- Add honey to this mix and eat it.
This may not be the most delicious preparation but it sure works wonders for increasing libido. You can have this once a day for a span of one month. If you think you can, have it twice a day for better results!
6. Lady’s finger
This wonder vegetable, actually, its roots are trusted by Ayurveda for fixing sexual health.
How to take lady’s finger root powder for improving libido
- Take five to ten grams (1-2 tsp) of the lady’s finger root powder
- Add a glass of milk to the powder and mix well.
- Mix crystalline sugar in it
- You can drink this mixture on a daily basis for good results. It has no side effects and it works like a spell!
We use ginger to flavor our vegetables and pulses. Well, this versatile root can return flavor to one’s sexual life, too. It has been proven that ginger juice helps in fixing sexual disorders and improved libido.
How to use ginger for improved libido
- Take half a spoon of ginger juice.
- Take one half-boiled egg and some honey.
- Now have them all together, every night, just before going to bed.
This is sure to give you promising results!
8. Dried dates
Mostly, people include dates in their daily diet because dates come packed with iron and hence, increase blood hemoglobin. Very few people know that they can provide extra energy, and vigor, which can eventually build up your libido. Ayurveda says dates purify blood and increase the amount of semen in men. The natural sugar content in dates also give enough energy for long, passionate love making session.
How to use dates to improve libido
- Take 1 part of dried dates
- Take 1 part made up of almonds and pistachio nuts. For example, if you are taking 1 cup of dates, take half cup each of almonds and pistachio.
- Now grind all three together.
- Eat approximately 2-3 tablespoons of this mixture daily.
The best thing about this remedy is, it is so simple to make and it has a good shelf life. All you need to do is remember to eat a fistful of it, everyday and enjoy the results!
Just like dates, raisins too have high natural sugar content and thus provides extra energy. Many health-conscious people sprinkle their cornflakes with raisins to enhance the taste. Let us make you familiar with the other side of raisins, too. This sweet tasting dry fruit is excellent for improving sexual vigor.
Using raisins to increase low libido
- Take some raisins, about 1 tbsp
- Boil them in milk (about a glass of it) till they become swollen.
- Eat around 15-20g (3-4 tsp) of such raisins boiled in milk daily.
- After some days, you need to increase the amount you are eating. No harm! It is delicious and it works wonderfully to build your libido!
Fruits are not far behind when talking about increasing libido. Figs have high amounts of amino acids that are believed to increase libido as well as sexual stamina. The flavor, looks and smell of figs all work together to affect your senses sensuously and to improve your mood to boost your libido. It is not in vain that fig was the favorite fruit of Cleopatra!
How to take fig to increase libido
- Have some figs through the day.
- You may also have few of them before you prepare to go to bed.
- Take figs after breakfast, just 3-4 figs with a teaspoon of honey.
Avocados, perhaps the most talked about fruit of recent times, has high contents of folic acid in them that help metabolize proteins and provide you with a lots of energy. They also have vitamin B6 to combat stress and increase the production of testosterone. Their high potassium content in fact make them a great food to increase libido in women.
How to take avocado to increase libido
- Help yourself with at least 1-2 servings of ripe avocado daily.
- Add them in your salad or make salad dressing with them.
- Make your dips with avocados
Bananas have this enzyme called bromelain believed to increase libido, particularly in men. This tasty sugary fruit also can reverses impotence in men. Bananas are one of the rich sources of potassium and B vitamins like riboflavin and thus you can depend on it to increase your energy levels too, a factor very essential for libido as well.
There is no particular way of eating banana, thanks to this tasty delight of nature! Just grab one and have it, better if you have it right in the morning or with your breakfast.
Pomegranate, the tasty fruit again, helps you produce nitric oxide. Nitric oxide opens up the blood vessels and increases blood flow, towards sexual organs as well and this is very much required for increasing your low libido.
How to take pomegranate for libido boost
- Have it just as it is
- Or add the seeds to your fruit salads or even smoothies.
- Drink pomegranate juice
Almonds, a major source of essential fatty acids, are great foods to increase libido. They provide men with the raw material to produce hormones. Almonds have zinc, selenium, and vitamin E, all vital for sexual health and reproduction. Selenium has been useful in solving infertility issues while zinc helps men produce sex hormones to boost libido.
How to eat almonds to increase libido
- Have a handful of raw almonds everyday. Just raw almonds, not roasted, salted, fried or sweetened almonds.
- Crush some almonds and add them to your salad or to your morning cereal breakfast.
- Add 1 tablespoon of ground almond to a glass of warm milk and have twice a day.
Well this is certainly not a wholly natural food but it is one of the best aphrodisiacs available! After all they are made with Aztecs called cocoa, the treasure house of nourishment. Cocoa is full of antioxidants that are generally good for your whole system as they help maintain your immune system. Chocolate has theobromine, an alkaloid similar to caffeine. It also has phenylethylamine, a chemical that makes you believe that you are happy and that you are in love! In brief, phenylethylamine brings in the sense of excitement and well being.
How to eat chocolate for libido
- Just have one piece everyday. Go for dark chocolate as you need to watch your weight too.
- Have anything chocolaty, choco-fudge, ice-cream, whatever but yes don’t forget to think about your weight!
Other than foods to boost your low libido, you can do some other things too to take control of your libido.
Exercise regularly for better sex life with an increased libido
It has been proven by many studies that some amount of exercise is great for sex life. This is because it improves blood flow to your sex organs and hence, builds up the libido! Go for a jog, or a brisk walk. Make sure that you are working out your body and making it sweat at least 30 minutes every day.
It is also reported that fat inhibits testosterone production, which is bad news for libido! Therefore, men really need to be careful about their weight and make sure that there is no fat accumulation especially around the belly. There are reports that have proven that belly fat absorbs testosterone more than other fat cells in the body.
Therefore, men and women both should work to stay in shape. For the sake of their libido and well, for the sake of feeling good!
Eat well to perform well in bed
There are many evidences that point out a direct relation between food and sex life. Make sure you include a lots of vegetables and fruits in your everyday diet. This will give you all the minerals, vitamins and antioxidants that are needed by your body. It has more benefits than you can imagine!
Firstly, it helps in weight management. It gives you a great skin and makes you glow. Then of course, it enhances your sexual performance.
Massage can infuse sexual vigor in to you
That’s correct! Massage has been known to relieve stress and enhance sexual performance. Go for a massage whenever you feel you need to give vent to all the pent up emotions and anger. Better still; get your spouse to give you a massage. It will help you reconnect and add spark to your relationship. Get some sensual aromatic oils to massage yourself and your partner as it has been proven a lots of times that scents heighten arousal. The next remedy for low libido tells you about such scented oil.
Essential oils help increase libido in men and women
Aromatherapy takes help of various essential oils to stimulate the part of brain where emotional memory is stored. It has also been proved that sense of smell and sex drive are inter-connected to a great extent. You may either massage with these oils or wear them after diluting these in a carrier oil. You may also diffuse them to make all your surrounding environment sensuous so that your low libido is turned into intense passion!
- Ylang-Ylang oil– This oil is considered to be an aphrodisiac. It is so soothing and pacifying that it just hypnotizes you to push you towards a sensual stimulation.
- Rose oil– Rose has always represented romance and not in vain. It does trigger your desire. It is stimulating and elevating to your mind and creates a sense of well being by bringing balance and harmony to the body, so essential to increase libido.
- Lavender oil– can also be effective for some people, particularly who have low libido due to stress as lavender is a relaxant which allows body to relax.
- Clary Sage Oil– improves your sexual desire by decreasing inhibitions and arousing emotions. It is particularly good for women as it regulates and balances hormones in them.
- Jasmine Oil– It is also a very soothing and calming oil and may help solve issues like erectile dysfunction, fridgity, and premature ejaculation.
- Patchouli Oil– helps increase libido by alleviating sexual fears as it decreases inhibitions. Once your inhibitions are gone you can connect well with your partner, emotionally as well as physically!
That was it! So, are you convinced that not only there are many foods to increase libido but various other ways to deal with low libido. With so many tips to increase libido naturally, you might well look for ways to control your libido then!