Get back to a normal life with these homemade diabetes remedies
If one takes a look at some of the most common diseases and the number of people they have affected, diabetes emerges a winner. Today, there are figures to support the fact that Diabetes is among the most common and one of the most dreaded health disorders in the world.
What makes it really tricky is that there have been a number of researches and studies and yet, scientists have not been able to clearly establish the factors that lead to diabetes. However, they do have listed certain possible causes of diabetes. Before getting the home remedies for diabetes, let’s know the causes of diabetes so that you may well understand your debilitating disease.
So, what are the causes of diabetes?
Some say it is genetic to some extent. Others are of the view that it is lifestyle related. And blame the below mentioned habits as contributing causes of diabetes:
- Eating an unbalanced diet
- Regularly consuming too much sugar, carbohydrates, fats, and proteins
- Emotional stress
- A virus infections such as the Coxsackie B virus
Well, there is no end to the speculations that are doing rounds in the medical circle. The bottom line is that diabetes is affecting more and more people today. In fact, the harsh reality is that it is increasingly affecting young people. Since diabetes never strikes alone, one is attacked by many other problems, too! Heart disease, kidney disease or vision problems commonly strike diabetic people and make their lives tougher and more miserable. Therefore it becomes very important to understand diabetes and its types too!
The two types of diabetes
Most of us are aware that there are two kinds of diabetes but many of us may not be knowing the difference between Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes
Type 1 Diabetes
It is a condition when the body does not produce any insulin on its own. It is often believed that Type 1 strikes patients at a tender age though there are evidences that it can develop in adults, too. To treat this one, regular insulin shots are given to patients, which continue all their lives.
Type 2 Diabetes
Insulin resistance is said to be one of the factors leading to Type 2 diabetes. In this condition, the body becomes resistant to insulin. It also occurs when there is an insulin deficiency in the body. This kind of diabetes can be controlled with proper diet and precautions.
While we certainly have made progress in terms of medication and other ways in which a diabetic’s life can be made easy, we are far from a path-breaking solution. Thankfully, in the lap of nature we find some wonderful spells that offer temporary relief and give diabetes patients a chance to live a normal, happy life, despite their condition.
Given below are some natural homemade remedies for diabetes. These are very effective, absolutely safe and can be used for years without adversely affecting any other system.
Home Remedies for Diabetes
1. Aloe Vera – nature’s gift to fight diabetes
Aloe Vera is impressively versatile. We have used it for various beauty purposes like soothing our skin, removing spots etc. However, there is more to it than its cosmetic properties. It is also a boon for diabetic people. It has hypoglycemic characteristics as it has a slightly bitter taste. In addition, it also has anti-inflammatory properties, which help in the healing of wounds, also good news for diabetic people. In extreme cases of diabetes, wounds take a very long time to heal that makes people with diabetes rather uncomfortable with life.
How to consume aloe vera to fight diabetes
- Aloe Vera juice can be had with water, first thing in the morning. This needs to be done on an empty stomach.
- Another way to enjoy the benefits of Aloe Vera is to mix it with buttermilk for a better taste and drink it on an empty stomach. Upon regular usage, it is going to help a diabetic person considerably.
2. Holy Basil – a holy medicine for diabetes
Most Indian homes have this one in the backyard. It has been considered holy for many reasons, however, it is also medicinal and truly god-sent for diabetic people. Studies say that holy basil can help increase insulin secretion in body of a type 2 diabetic. That’s not all. Holy basil may also help lower fasting and post-meal blood glucose levels in Type 2 diabetics. A study conducted on few such patients concluded this!
Ways in which holy basil can be consumed
- Take fresh leaves of holy basil. Crush to extract the juice and drink it.
- One can just chew the fresh leaves after washing them.
- One can even brew the leaves like tea leaves and drink the water with its essence.
Holy Basil can be had daily as it bring down the blood glucose level considerably. It also has anti-stress, anti-asthmatic, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, gastric anti-ulcer, anti-oxidant, anti-viral, anti-tumor, anti-mutagenic and immuno-stimulant properties. One can safely say that it helps diabetic people in more ways than one!
3. Indian Gooseberry- the tangy way to fight diabetes
There are many merits of Indian Gooseberry or the famous amla herb. Firstly, it is easily available. It is very pocket-friendly. It is a rich source of Vitamin C and has hypoglycemic properties. However, more than vitamin C, its antioxidant properties protect against the free radicals that cause various weary diseases like heart disease, arthritis, cancer, inflammation, liver disease, respiratory ailments and of course diabetes. Gooseberry does this by reducing oxidative stress influencing the hormones associated with the condition.
How to consume Indian gooseberry to battle diabetes
- Indian gooseberry fruit gives better results when consumed in its natural form. It reduces blood sugar levels by stimulating insulin production within 30 minutes of consumption.
- The seeds of this wonder fruit can be turned into powder, mixed with water and consumed for its benefits. In fact, you can easily find amla powder in any health store selling Ayuervedic medicines.
4. Garlic – The super healthy food is also a diabetes remedy
Garlic is used almost on a daily basis in Asian kitchens. The cholesterol-reducing effect of garlic is well known in the medicine world. It also has an anti-diabetic effect. The chemical Allicin in garlic is believed to have hypoglycemic effects. Allicin and the other compounds of garlic like ajoene and alliin influence your circulatory, digestive and immunological systems. This benefits you in innumerable ways, it can lower blood pressure, detoxify your body, help in overall healing, increases good cholesterol in your body and yes can also lower blood sugar levels.
How to consume garlic to combat diabetes
To release this allicin from garlic, you need to either finely chop the garlic clove, mince it or make a puree out of it. Or simply chew it, add it to your meals or just turn it into a chutney!
5. Neem- the effective natural Ayurvedic remedy for diabetes
Neem is bestowed with anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. It also has anti-diabetic properties, so much so that it has been found to reduce insulin requirements by up to 50%. As neem can lower blood sugar levels to a considerable amounts, your blood sugar might go too low. This makes it essential to monitor your blood sugar with utmost care if you are taking neem for diabetes.
How to consume neem to get rid of diabetes
- Chew its tender leaves
- Extract its juice or
- Drink its stock!
It is all easy and very effective! Just a little bitter but that’s only for sweet results it gives to reduce diabetes!
6. Mango- the surprise remedy for diabetes!
Mangoes are a summer delight but till now it was a totally forbidden food for diabetics. But no more do the diabetics need to stay away from this sweet fruit! A Research presented to the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB) has revealed that eating mangoes daily can in fact help moderate and even lower blood sugar levels. All this in spite of its natural sugar content. However, further research is required to evaluate the effects of eating mangoes on human health before people with type 2 diabetes can relish mangoes regularly as part of a low-sugar diet.
The leaves of mangoes, however, had been a traditional remedy for diabetes. The mango leaves are loaded with anti-diabetic properties. It reduces the intestinal glucose absorption and hence has an anti-diabetic effect.
How to have mango leaves to cure diabetes
- Take about 15 mango leaves.
- Boil them in 1 glass of water.
- Leave this water covered overnight.
- Strain the water in the morning.
- Drink this water first thing in the morning.
You may also chew the washed mango leaves, take leaf extracts an hour before meals and watch how it work wonders to you!
7. Fig Leaves for Fighting Diabetes
For years, figs have been commonly used in treating diabetes. They are gifted with anti-diabetic properties, that help them to reduce the sugar levels in the blood stream of a diabetic person.
Ways in which a diabetic person can benefit from fig leaves
- This amazing gift of nature can be simply chewed on an empty stomach. Which means, it is the first thing one chews after getting up. Food can be had 15 minutes later.
- Alternately, the fig leaves can be boiled in water like tea leaves. Then, the water could either be sipped while it is still hot or one can wait for it to cool down. Both these methods are perfect for any person suffering with diabetes. When followed on a regular basis, fig leaves remedy reduces the need for insulin significantly.
8. Cinnamon- the spicy way to control diabetes
Cinnamon in our houses is used almost on a daily basis. From rice to tea, we use this versatile spice for its brilliant fragrance and flavour. However, along with that, it also has some anti-diabetes properties. It is known to reduce the blood glucose level, quite like insulin, hence is a blessing in disguise for diabetic people.
How to consume cinnamon to keep diabetes away
- Half a spoon of cinnamon powder is a recommended dose for diabetic people. This powder can be had with water for better results.
- Diabetic people can also just chew a small piece of cinnamon, in its natural form and benefit from it.
- One can add a cinnamon stick to their herbal tea, either in the morning or in the evening.
- Mix cinnamon powder into your daily meal.
- One can even sprinkle cinnamon powder over a bowl of oats or cereal to benefit from it.
9. The sweet effects of Bitter Gourd on diabetes
For a long time, we have known Bitter gourd is an ancient remedy to treat diabetes, naturally. It is available in many forms like capsules and tablets, to ease people into consuming it, because of its extremely bitter taste, which is also the reason why it works.
How to have bitter gourd to get rid of diabetes
- Bitter gourd can be consumed in the form of a juice. This should be consumed first thing in the morning. Just blend the bitter gourd pieces with water and have it.
- It can be boiled in water and the stock can be consumed for its benefits.
- It can be cooked like other vegetable in very little oil and consumed as a meal, too.
- These days, there are capsules that come packed with the benefits of this wonderful vegetable. If its taste bothers you, then you can just take a capsule with water.
Precaution: Though consuming bitter gourd does wonders, one needs to be a little cautious. Excess of it could even lead to lower-than-normal blood sugar levels or hypoglycemia.
10. Apple Cider Vinegar helps control diabetes with its nutritional components
This one is long known to bring down the blood sugar levels to a good extent. It is considered apt for consumption by almost everyone suffering with diabetes. It is great to be used in home remedies as it is easily available and has a long shelf life.
How to turn apple cider vinegar into a homemade diabetes remedy
All you need is 2 tablespoons of apple vinegar. Now add a pinch of salt to it. Mix it in a glass of water and drink this before every large meal.
11. Fenugreek seeds – a great way to fight diabetes
Fenugreek seeds have sugar-lowering properties and have been known to bring down insulin dependence, when consumed regularly.
Ways of consuming fenugreek leaves to fight diabetes
- A tasty way of consuming fenugreek leaves is making a curry out of it and having it as part of a meal. It is considered one of the most commonly used home made remedy for Diabetes.
- One can just soak a teaspoon-full of fenugreek seeds in a glass of water over night. Next morning, just drink this water on an empty stomach to benefit from it. One should, however, eat only after 30 minutes of drinking this. Also, no medication must be taken for about 30 minutes. This can be repeated 2-3 times a week for good improvement in the condition of your diabetes.
Other ways of fighting diabetes at home, naturally!
- Start your day with a walk in a park or a field.
- Team it up with exercises and monitor your blood sugar level.You will see that your insulin requirement will drop significantly!
- Make sure you include fresh fruits and vegetables in your daily meals.
- Eat a lot of whole grains.
- Try Yoga for a calmer, healthier you!
All these with the above stated home remedies for diabetes will certainly let you live a normal, very normal life!