Lower back pain has gradually become almost a menace for all, thanks to the sedentary lifestyle which requires a working person to sit for practically the whole day. Lack of movement makes the muscles of our low back so weak that we cannot do anything else than to suffer from lower back pain. However, there is a good news that one can easily get rid of lower back pain, with regular exercises for lower back pain relief. Yoga is one of the most effective exercising mediums for keeping one’s body healthy and fit. It has innumerable yoga poses for each body part including lower back.
Yoga Poses for Lower Back Pain Relief
There is no doubt about the fact that there are various yoga exercises that can get one rid of low back pain but many of them are quite demanding. As most of us are not in the habit of exercising regularly, our body gets stiff and many of the yoga asanas (asana is a Hindi term which means pose) want a flexible body to bend as required by the exercise posture. However, there are at least 5 yoga exercises that do not demand too much from our rigid body and we can easily do these yoga poses to get rid of low back pain. The name of these five yoga poses are Salabhasana, Bhujangasana, Setubandhasana, Supta Udarakarshana and Marjariasana.
Ardha Salabhasana- Locust Yoga Pose for Lower Back Pain Relief
- Lie down on floor on stomach keeping your with chin touched on the ground
- Place both your hands below the thighs. Keep the palms facing up
- While inhaling, lift up your right leg as high as possible. Do not bend the knee.
- Hold the leg in air while counting till five.
- Now while exhaling, bring your leg down.
- Again while inhale inhaling, lift up your left leg up, hold till you count five and while exhaling, bring the leg down.
- Repeat the process for five times with each leg alternatively.
- When you are comfortable with doing ardha salabhasana, you can start doing salabhasana where you must lift both your legs at the same time.
Salabhasana yoga pose makes muscles at the back strong along with those of hips, legs and the thighs. This is one of the best yoga exercises for low back pain relief and also increases your stamina.
Bhujangasana- Cobra Yoga Pose for Lower Back Pain Relief
- Lie down on stomach with stretched feet, heels, toes and knees kept together
- Let your chin touch the ground.
- Keep your palms by the side of your chest. Fingers will remain below the shoulder line.
- While slowly inhaling, lift your head, neck and chest off the ground. Don’t take them too high. Your elbows will remain bent and closer to body. Keep looking up
- Hold the position for a count of 5 (about 30seconds)
- While exhaling, bring the upper part down.
- Repeat the exercise for three times.
Bhujangasan or the cobra pose strengthens your back, especially the lower back by releasing all tension along the back.
Sethubandhasana- Pelvic Tilt Yoga Pose for Lower Back Pain Relief
- Lie down on your back with legs folded at the knees, keeping feet flat and as close to the hips as possible. Keep the feet a little apart from each other.
- If possible, hold your heels with both the hands otherwise let your hands lie down at the sides with palms down.
- While inhaling, lift your waist as high as you can. Hold for about 20-30 seconds.
- While exhaling, bring down the waist.
- Repeat for five times.
Setubandhasana or the bridge yoga pose is good for over all pelvic muscle strengthening and give relief from low back pain in the process.
Supta Udarakarshan- Spinal Twist Yoga Pose for Lower Back Pain Relief
- Lie down on your back, keep the feet together and arms perpendicular to shoulders with palms facing and touching the ground.
- While inhaling, lift your right leg up at 90 degrees or as high as possible. Keep the leg straight.
- Now take the leg twisting on to left while exhaling. Simultaneously turn your head to right.
- Hold for a 30 seconds and bring back the leg and head to earlier position.
- Now repeat the process with left leg, lifting the left leg up, twisting towards right while keeping the head on left.
- Repeat for six times.
Spinal twisting with alternate leg raising will strengthen your lower back muscles giving you relief from low back pain.
Marjariasana- Cat Stretch Yoga Pose for Lower Back Pain Relief
- Kneel down on your hands and knees, keep your hands directly beneath the shoulder and knees beneath the hips. Knees can be kept a foot apart from each other.
- Now inhale while curving your spine downwards and then exhale while making an arch like pose with your spine.
- While doing the exercise, gaze towards your navel area. Don’t bend your arms, keep them straight.
- Hold this yoga pose for a few seconds.
- While inhaling return to the first position of curved spine.
- Repeat this for at least ten times.
Marjariasana yoga pose or the cat pose is a good stretching exercise for your back, torso, and neck and improves spinal flexibility thus goving relief from low back pain.
If you make the habit of doing these yoga asanas everyday, preferably twice (morning and evening), you can hope to get rid of lower back pain in considerable period of time. Also when you continue doing these yoga exercises after your back pain is gone, there is no chance of your lower back pain returning to you!