What Should I Do to be Healthy?
A very crucial question indeed but we all know the answer! Yes, we know what we should do to be healthy but we do not recognize our knowledge because accepting it would mean bringing a certain amount of discipline in life and where there is discipline, there is a check on freedom! However, let me ensure you that when you start doing what is required to remain healthy, you would face the difficulties just for a few days and then its all bliss and happiness.
So, the first thing that you can do to be healthy is to close your eyes for a couple of seconds and think about the words that come to your mind when you say ‘Health’!
Now, what all did your mind say?
I know, the terms that came to your mind were- exercise, food, rest, sleep, no stress, relax- and that’s it!
You know it all about how to be healthy!
So, the second thing that you must do to be healthy is to believe in yourself.
You can do all the things whether it be exercise, having balanced diet or optimum sleep.
What will be a little difficult (but not impossible) is to remain stress free (if you are prone to take pressure) and ways to find out how you can relax.
Here, I will help you in chalking out a health plan by giving some tips on how to be healthy! In fact, I won’t call them tips to be healthy but the ways of life that not only bring health but happiness too, along with them.
Be Positive, Be Healthy!
I am not going to say anything spiritual about being positive. What I mean by becoming positive is to believe that you are healthy. The moment you start thinking that you are good, you actually start being good! And when you think about a disease, it feels as if you are suffering from the disease. However, it doesn’t at all mean to ignore any of the uncomfortable signs or symptoms that might indicate towards some medical condition of your body. Just don’t be over conscious about your health. Do what is needed to be fit and just forget until and unless you seriously feel certain signs of being ill!
Eat Healthy, Stay Healthy!
Just imagine if you don’t eat for a day, what happens to you? I don’t need to tell you that but it will make clear the importance of food in our life- food which is literally taken for granted. What you eat will decide what nutrition your body gets. Again you know what is healthy in foods!
- Eat more fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fish or other first grade protein sources like soy and dairy products.
- Don’t skip breakfast as it is the most important meal of the day which gives you energy for whole of your day.
- Have smaller meals at regular intervals of 2-3 hours. This will keep your metabolism in control.
- Have enough water and fluids (not cold drinks) throughout the day.
- Keep the levels of salt and sugar low in your daily diet.
- Don’t have fried foods.
- It’s OK to have rich food once in a while but don’t make it a regular thing.
- Avoid junk food as much as possible.
Taking care of your food will keep your bones, muscles and other body organs fit and efficient.
Exercise Regularly to Stay Fit and Healthy!
Now, this is what which is the most frightening thing to do when it comes to be healthy but there’s no other way for your body to maintain vigor and energy without exercising. Try not doing anything- literally anything- for a day and be in your bed the whole day long. You’ll get the first hand experience of how your body feels when you don’t move!
- So, make a habit of exercising regularly, even if it is brisk walking for 30 minutes.
- Of course, it will be good if you can exercise a little more and that’s a must when you are overweight.
- Choose your exercise as per your interest to remain motivated.
- If you don’t like gym, don’t go there. Do aerobics or yoga. If not, go cycling, jogging, swimming or dancing.
Whatever moves your body happily is a great exercise for you. Do exercise for at least 5 days a week.
Sleep Well and Be Cheerfully Healthy!
A good night’s sleep is as important as good food and exercise for your health. So sleep tight at night to rejuvenate your body. When you don’t have enough sleep, your energy level falls which is due to the gap in hormonal system that do not get chance to replenish itself. As a result, you become irritable which reflects in your bad mood and low performance throughout the day. Not getting enough sleep also affects your immune system. Avoid caffeine and alcohol before going to bed as they will disturb your sleep.
Learn Stress Management to Be Healthy!
Stress brings with it all kinds of ailments related to heart, neurology and blood pressure. While a little anxiety gives you motivation to perform, a lot of it can hamper your actual performance. Try to de-stress yourself. It’s easy said than done but then nothing comes free, not even health. You have to put time and effort to buy your health!
- When confronted with a problem, don’t think negative.
- Think about the best and the worst situation that the problem can get you in.
- Now, first focus on the worst situation- is it so bad that you need to lose your health by succumbing to the stress?
- If not, half of your problem is solved.
- Now focus on the best situation and the ways that can be employed to reach it.
- Make a list of solutions- mentally or on paper.
- Now, keep on reviewing and omitting the items (that now don’t look so good a solution) at every repetition.
- Ultimately, you will be left with one or two options to try for solving your problem.
- This will definitely help in relieving your stress.
You can adopt any other method for solving problems- just don’t take stress. Stress, anyhow, doesn’t solve any problem!
Relax You Must – To Be Healthy!
- If you are not able to relax and your mind wanders around, you might take help of relaxation techniques like meditation.
- Learn new skills, develop your one time favorite hobbies that you had not been able to pursue due to busy work schedules.
- Read, write, sing, dance, socialize, party, travel- anything that will make you happy.
Being Happy is Being Healthy. So, you should open all avenues that bring happiness to you and you will naturally become healthy!
So now you don’t have to ask as to what should you do to be healthy! You know that you must eat well, sleep tight, stay active, stop stressing and relax. This will change your mind and body inside out and you will live longer, live healthy!