Everywhere there is only one discussion- how to lose weight? And what about those who are skinny and want to gain weight? This write up will tell you – how to gain weight? And not only this but how to gain weight the healthy way! But before we move on to know these ways to gain weight, we must free ourselves from certain myths about weight gain and also some don’ts for gaining weight!
What NOT TO DO to Gain Weight!
Do not blindly follow the very obvious logic- if you want to gain weight eat, eat and eat! That might bring disastrous results- you might gain weight fast but will also receive many diseases in gifts- to count some- high cholesterol, heart disease, body aches, diabetes and many other such lifestyle related diseases!
- Don’t just eat food higher in fat or sugar
- Don’t avoid exercises because you must also gain muscles and not only fat to be healthy while in the process of gaining weight.
- Don’t depend upon artificial supplements to gain weight like the gain weight bars, gain weight pills etc.! Most of these gain weight drugs aim at imbalanced regulation of metabolism which leads to many side effects, some very dangerous to heart and nervous system.
How to Gain Weight Naturally!
So, how to gain weight the healthy way then? There are at least four major factors that work towards gaining weight and all of them should be combined properly. These factors include – Diet; Exercise; Relaxation; and Sleep
Gain Weight Diet
Take these tips on food to gain weight
- Strike the right balance of proteins, carbohydrates, and the proper types of fat in your meals. Right fats include unsaturated and monounsaturated fats, olive oil, canola oil, pistachios, nuts like almonds and walnuts. However amount of fat should remain small- don’t go with the myth that more fats will help gain weight fast!
- Have foods that are higher in calories, vitamins, and minerals, and not in fat or sugar.
- Have more of nutritious calories in each serving. Ad cooked eggs to mashed potatoes or shredded chicken to soups and gravies, take cheese with eggs and soups, have shakes (like banana shake), milk, and mashed potatoes.
- For high calories, have mixed fruit juices such as apple/berry, peach/orange/banana etc.
- Snack in between meals but these should be healthy snacks like nuts, dried fruits, and yogurt etc. instead of junk food without nutritious value.
- Take cod-liver oil- one of the ancient proven remedies for weight gain.
- Drink full cream milk before going to bed.
Gain Weight Exercises
There are exercises that are especially beneficial to strengthen the abdominal muscles. Right exercises will tone up whole system and increase appetite, essential for weight gain. Exercise intensely to gain muscle mass. It’s good to do free weight exercises that target large muscle groups like those done with dumbbells. Weight gain for women may include thigh exercises.
If you really want to gain weight, you must also learn to relax. Take a good night’s sleep everyday and if possible, take a nap after lunch! If you can’t do that due to office work then suspend all activity for a while and sit back in your chair for a few moments. Do this frequently- with a gap of about two-
or three-hours. You must get at least eight hours of sleep a night and if possible a little more than that. A good diet, right exercise regime and proper relaxation can only make you gain weight for good!