|Ear Wax Removal – Dont’s|
If you are habitual of cleaning your ear wax often and/or with the help of cotton swab, this is the time to change- all for the sake of your ears! Yes, wax formation in ears has a very important role to play in preventing dust and dirt particles from reaching eardrum. Ear wax traps these dust and dirt particles and therefore, you should not remove it very often. Generally, ear wax accumulates a little, dries out, and then comes out of the ear naturally carrying dirt and dust with it. However, sometimes it becomes essential to remove ear wax due to certain inconveniences.
- If you experience earache or a feeling of fullness in the ear as if your ear is plugged.
- If you experience partial hearing loss which grows with time.
- If you could feel noises in ear- a ringing type of tone called tinnitus.
- If there is itching, odor in ear or there is some kind of discharge from ear.
Ear wax should only be removed when the above mentioned conditions are experienced
- Put some oil, baby oil, glycerin or olive oil in your ears to soften the wax. After about 30 minutes or so, tilt your head to a side and let the oil flow out naturally into a clean cloth. You may also use clean water which can be squirted into the ear to remove ear wax deposits that may remain.
- Another method for removing wax from ear is that of irrigation or ear syringing with the help of commercially available irrigation kit. These kits usually contain solution like water and saline that has to be syringed into the ear. However, you should always warm these solutions to body temperature in order to prevent dizziness. People with diabetes, a perforated eardrum, tube in the eardrum, or a weakened immune system must exercise caution during irrigation. Its better to take assistance of a physician in such cases.
- You can also use specific ear drops made to soften excessive wax in ear. Follow directions given along with such ear care products. Usually, you drop the solution into the ear canal to soften and let it drain out after a few minutes naturally.