- Minerals- calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, copper, boron
- Vitamins- A, D, E, K, B complex and C
Therefore, a balanced diet is a must for keeping bones in shape. Everyday diet of an average human being must contain
- Vegetables, particularly green leafy vegetables;
- Pulses/legumes or dals;
- Animal protein- fish/chicken;
- Cereals; and
- Fat from oil, ghee or butter.
What is not needed is sugar. If you cannot live without it, limit its intake to 2-3 teaspoons per day. A good strategy would be to replace it with honey.
- Take a balanced diet everyday by including the above mentioned food
- Provide your body with enough Vitamin D. Try to be in sun for ten to fifteen minutes twice or thrice a week. Sunscreens prevent your body from generating vitamin D- avoid them.
- Remain physically active. Bones have to be strong by both the ways- weight bearing and strength training exercises. Walking, running, jogging, tennis, badminton, football, dancing, aerobics etc. are weight bearing exercises- do them for about 30-40 minutes for 5-6 days in a week. Strength training comes from weight lifting- do them with weight. Ask your doctor about the ideal weight for you to lift. Also learn the correct way of weight lifting from a trained expert like a gym instructor. Do these exercises for about 10-15 minutes thrice a week.
- Quit smoking- it is dangerous not only for your bones but for your overall health.