|Symptoms of Breast Cancer|
Breast cancer is curable. If you find it early, you can get a variety of treatments for breast cancer. So, how do you know if you have breast cancer? By being aware and checking frequently for the symptoms of breast cancer
Symptoms of Breast Cancer
- There are rarely any outward symptoms of breast cancer. However, lumps, nipple changes, cysts, and sometimes breast pain are the known symptoms of breast cancer
- One of the most common symptoms include lumps. It can be defined as a thickened area or dimple in the breast.
- Breast swelling and redness is also a sign of breast cancer but they are very uncommon.
- Lumps in armpits that do not hurt are also a sign of breast cancer.
The signs of breast cancer can be detected only by Breast Self Examination on a regular basis. Not all the types of cancer can be found this way but it is a critical step that can be taken by any woman to know whether she has breast cancer or not. It is best if self examination is combined with regular physical exams by a doctor and mammography. In about twenty percent cases, breast cancers are found by physical examination rather than by mammography. It is the best strategy for all women to routinely perform breast self-exams. The more a woman examines her breast, the more it becomes easier for her to tell if something unusual has occurred. It is an essential part of taking body and health care for lowering the risk of breast cancer.
How to Make Habit of Breast Self Examination?
- Try to examine breasts once a month so that you get to know them- how your breasts normally look and feel?
- Examine yourself after your period ends. It is the time when your breasts are least likely to be swollen and tender.
- If you have reached menopause, fix a day of each month when you will examine your breasts like first or last day or every second Monday or Saturday of the month.
- Don’t panic if you get to feel a lump in your breast. Most women have some lumps or lumpy areas in their breasts. However, do get a biopsy to eliminate all doubts.
- Breasts have different types of areas. The upper, outer area which is near armpit, tends to have the most prominent lumps and bumps. The lower half of breast sometimes feel like a sandy or pebbly beach. The area below the nipple also sometimes feels like a collection of large grains. Another part might feel like a lumpy bowl of oatmeal.
You might also want to learn about the symptoms, signs and treatment of Ovarian Cancer