If you didn’t know this, there is actually a diet to control uric acid! Uric acid is produced in body when protein breaks down. In normal conditions, kidneys excrete uric acid from body. However, when uric acid in urine increases, the excess precipitates. It can cause kidney stones or gout. For avoiding such condition, uric acid has to be controlled. This can be done by regulating diet habits. Here is a guide to ‘Uric Acid Diet Control’ with do’s and don’ts for those suffering from uric acid!
Uric Acid Diet Control- Foods to Eat
There are many foods and drinks that reduce uric acid in blood. You must include these foods in your diet to control uric acid. As you have to adopt these foods and drinks, they have been called ‘Do’s’ for diet options to control uric acid.
- Include low fat dairy products in your meals like low fat milk, curd etc.
- Switch to complex carbohydrates like whole wheat, bran and oatmeal. They help in reducing extra uric acid.
- Have fruits like apples, pears, banana, guava, orange, fresh cherries, pineapple, strawberries, blueberries and other red blue berries.
- Overweight persons must lose weight but gradually. Sudden weight loss can act in contradiction by increasing uric acid levels. So, avoid crash dieting.
- You may even try out bicarbonate of soda or citrate. They make the urine alkaline and promote excretion of uric acid. However, before going for it, consult your doctor.
- Meat is not good for controlling uric acid. However if you can’t do without it, have lean meat or poultry that too in limited amounts.
- When uric acid is not excreted out of the body, it leads to such diseases as gout and kidney stones. Drink 10-12 glasses of water a day. It reduces the rate of stone formation in kidney. In fact, it dissolves already formed stones too.
Uric Acid Diet Control- Foods Not to Eat
Unlike the list of foods above, there are certain foods that promote formation of uric acid in blood. Avoiding or limiting the intake of such foods in diet is thus essential to control uric acid. As these are foods not to eat by patients of uric acid, they have been included in the ‘Don’ts list.
- Avoid pulses, beans and peas.
- Avoid foods that are high in animal protein which includes organ meat like liver, kidney and sweetbreads, sardines, fish, pork, chicken, beef and egg.
- Avoid Red meat- of goat, lamb, veal.
- Avoid shellfish- lobster, crayfish, prawns, mussels, oysters, crabs, scallops.
- Avoid certain fish like anchovies, mackerel, sardines, herring
- Avoid mushrooms, spinach and asparagus.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Avoid foods high on fat- refined bread, biscuits, muffins, cakes, dough nuts, pancakes- all are harmful for those who have tendency of higher uric acid.
- Limit your intake of protein based foods as they produce more uric acid.
- Take limited gravies and whole milk. Also limit the intake of dairy products like cottage cheese, cheese, curd, or custard.
- Take limited amounts of cream, ice cream, fried food and salad dressings.