Although it is normal to lose a few strands of hair everyday (around 80-100), some people experience excessive hair loss. The reason may be a poor diet, over dieting, tension, work pressure, illness, too much exposure to sun and even chemical treatment or frequent coloring of hair. Here are some home remedies in form of proper diet and care for arresting hairfall.
- Have a lots of high quality protein such as those found in eggs, milk fish and meat. For vegetarians, milk and pulses are excellent options.
- Eat more of green leafy vegetables, and fresh fruits.
- If non-vegetarian,have fish in any form at least in one of your meals daily.
- Have 8-10 nuts- groundnuts, almonds, walnuts or hazelnuts daily. They are high in vitamin E which leads to the growth of vibrant hair.
- Have plentiful antioxidants. All the berries including strawberries, blue berries,black berries, currants, purple grapes- all are high in antioxidants. They help in lessening the negative effects of sunrays on hair.
- Fruits rich in vitamin C like oranges, lemon and guava are good for health of hair.
- Avoid foods that are loaded with refined carbohydrates like maida and corn flour and also those which have fat in them.
- Wholesome food containing whole wheat flour, pulses, curd and vegetables is good for over all health including hair.
- Drink at least 10-12 glasses of water daily.
- Exercise daily as it relieves from stress and improves blood circulation.
- Iron supplements can also be taken.
- Use some oil like almond, castor, olive or coconut oil once a week to massage the scalp thoroughly.
- Keep hair clean by washing it often- at twice a week. Mild shampoo should be used.
- If using hair conditioner, rinse it out thoroughly so that it doesn’t build up residue. This can make the hair dull.
- As far as possible, use natural conditioners like curd and eggs.
- Henna is also a good conditioner for hair. However, refrain from using too much henna too frequently as its prolonged use makes hair weak and they break easily.
- Don’t wash hair with too hot water.
- After washing hair, don’t comb till they are wet. Let them get into at least damp state before combing. Don’t comb roughly. Remove the tangles from the ends of hair and then comb lightly with smooth strokes. Don’t comb hair backwards.
The above tips for arresting hairfall can be followed without much fuss. However, if you have chronic hair loss then give some extra attention and use certain herbal home remedies for hair loss.